In New York, How To Get Police Disabilities Pay

Law enforcement officers in New York are subjected to extreme physical and emotional stress, whether they are on patrol, working at a station, or working in a detention center. This can lead to a significant handicap that makes it impossible for an officer to perform.

If you work as a cop, state trooper, or correctional officer, you most likely have individual or group disability insurance. However, that does not support the implicit that you will be eligible for disability payments under the terms of your insurance. Even though you cannot fulfill your assigned tasks, your insurance company may dismiss your claim or offer benefits for a limited period. To get the help you deserve, you may need the assistance of a disability claim attorney.


If you are under 60 at the time of filing, you may be eligible for this benefit. Permanently disabled (physically or emotionally) and unable to execute your obligations as a natural and proximate result of a disability incurred in service that was not caused by your purposeful carelessness, regardless of your years of service or the service on which your membership is based. 

You may apply within two years after being discharged from this service, whether willingly or involuntarily if your impairment is work-related. If your impairment isn’t connected to your job, you must apply within 90 days after being laid off.

The Advantage:

If approved, you will get 50% of your FAE Plus and an annuity based on any voluntary contributions you may have made and the income earned from those payments. Tier 5 and 6 members’ mandatory contributions are not annuity savings contributions, and as a result, they do not make annuities based on such costs.


You, the Superintendent of State Police, or someone else on your behalf can file a disability retirement application. If you cannot complete the pension payment options form, your spouse may do so on your behalf.

If you are qualified, you can apply for State Police disability, State Police accidental disability, and regular service retirement benefits all at once. You should always seek counsel from specialists like Fusco, Bradenstein & Rada, P.C. for more information.

Article Categories:
Personal Injury

Leave a Reply